Secure Coding mailing list archives

Fwd: I don't beleive open source is always the answer

From: "Joe Teff" <joe () joeteff com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:15:31 +0000

Although I'm an avid fan of open source, I have a huge problem with that
model when it comes to enterprise solutions.

The argument that bugs are researched and fixed quicker for open source
is not completely true. They definitely are if one of the contributors is
interested in that specific area. However, there is nothing compelling
anyone to fix a specific issue. If it is fixed, the fix occurs in one of
the builds. There is no back patching of supported versions. In order to
get a fix as soon as possible, you also have to take many other changes
that may or may not be complete, safe or tested. Waiting for a milestone
build that is fairly stable and has sufficient use to shake out most of
the bugs does not occur any more often than commercial releases from a
vendor.

The idea of taking the source and making your own change is also
unrealistic. Since this list is all about security, I know everyone here
would agree that any such change would require a great deal of testing.
You've then just made the solution your own product to support.

joe teff