RISKS Forum mailing list archives

Risks Digest 29.48

Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 12:57:35 PDT

RISKS-LIST: Risks-Forum Digest  Monday 25 April 2016  Volume 29 : Issue 48

ACM FORUM ON RISKS TO THE PUBLIC IN COMPUTERS AND RELATED SYSTEMS (comp.risks)
Peter G. Neumann, moderator, chmn ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy

***** See last item for further information, disclaimers, caveats, etc. *****
This issue is archived at <http://www.risks.org> as
  <http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/29.48.html>
The current issue can be found at
  <http://www.csl.sri.com/users/risko/risks.txt>

  Contents:
Newcastle servers downed by water-main flood early last week
  (Lindsay Marshall)
55-million Philippine voters' personal information exposed (PGN)
Personal info of 93.4-million Mexicans exposed on Amazon (
  Marc Rotenberg)
Bucking the Trend on Voting Rights (NYTimes editorial)
The E.U.'s Dangerous Data Rules (Daphne Keller and Bruce D. Brown)
Night-vision goggles case cause plane crash (WashPost)
U.S. carriers mum on 60 Minutes report on vulnerability in SS7
  (FierceWireless via Geoff Goodfellow)
U.S. Cyberwar aims to cripple ISIS operations (David Sanger)
FBI admits it paid $1.3m to hack into that iPhone (*The Guardian* via
  danny burstein)
Facebook bug bounty hunter find bug -- and exploit in progress
  (Peter Houppermans)
Kindle Unlimited Scam (Ann Christy via Charles B. Weinstock)
If Emoji Are the Future of Communication Then We're Screwed (NYMag)
Hacker: This is how I broke into Hacking Team (CSOonline via Monty Solomon)
The big picture on software backdoors (Mark Thorson)
Air Force blames deadly crash on goggles case (CNN via Monty Solomon)
The Burr-Feinstein Proposal Is Simply Anti-Security
  (Electronic Frontier Foundation via David Farber)
No Phones for You! Chic Businesses Are Abandoning Landlines (NYT)
Windows Users - Apple and Govt say to remove Quicktime from your PC
  (Chris J Brady)
Re: BMW's car-sharing service launches--and almost lands Ars a ticket
  (Richard Bos)
Re: Bank Back Stabbing (Alister Wm Macintyre)
Re: Man accidentally deletes his entire company with one line of bad code:
  *NOT TRUE* (Martin Ward, John Levine, Rick Steeves, Matt Bishop)
Abridged info on RISKS (comp.risks)