Politech mailing list archives

PFF's Singleton defends digital rights management and the DMCA in new paper [ip]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 09:12:57 -0700

Solveig Singleton has impeccable libertarian credentials: she's worked at the Cato Institute and the Competitive Enterprise Institute and for Peter Huber.

Now Solveig is an adjunct scholar at the Progress and Freedom Foundation and published a paper today defending DRM and the DMCA:
http://www.pff.org/issues-pubs/pops/pop13.11dmca.pdf

I admit my bias: I think section 1201 of the DMCA goes too far, and has caused a slew of problems to companies, researchers, and even journalists. I wrote in 2002 about how it could make me a federal felon for doing my job:
http://news.com.com/2010-1028-978636.html

Unfortunately Solveig seems dismissive of these problems, as Ed Felten writes about here:
http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=1010

By way of background, copyright and the DMCA are a divisive issue among libertarians, as we've seen before (in other words, it's not just PFF that takes the IP-is-property view):
http://www.politechbot.com/2006/03/28/a-divide-among/

-Declan