Politech mailing list archives

FTC officials irk Congress by suggesting "anti-spyware" law unnecessary

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 00:32:51 -0400

http://news.com.com/2100-1023_3-5202016.html

FTC officials blast spyware measures
Last modified: April 29, 2004, 11:30 AM PDT
By Declan McCullagh
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Two Federal Trade Commission officials ignited a political firestorm on Thursday by criticizing proposed laws targeting spyware and suggesting that the measures might harm legitimate software products, too.

During an appearance before a House of Representatives panel, FTC Commissioner Mozelle Thompson said the measures were the wrong approach to spyware and adware. "I do not believe legislation is the answer at this time," he said. "Instead, we should give industry the time to respond...Self-regulation combined with enforcement of existing laws might be the best way to go."

Members of the Energy and Commerce subcommittee on consumer protection reacted angrily to the advice, accusing Thompson and Howard Beales, director of the FTC's bureau of consumer protection, of being the only Americans who enjoyed having their computers infected by spyware and adware.

[...remainder snipped...]