Politech mailing list archives

Jim Harper on HIPAA medical regulations: Where's the beef?

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 00:31:04 -0400

[I am not a HIPAA expert, thank goodness. I do not know if Peter or Jim is correct. But I do know enough about regulation to know that HIPAA comes with a real price tag. It is reasonable to ask its supporters to quantify the (ephemeral?) benefits to see if they outweigh the (real) cost. Otherwise why should it stay on the books? --Declan]