Politech mailing list archives

BlackBoxVoting.org shut down by legal nastygram from Diebold

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:11:37 -0400

---

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:00:53 -0400
To: declan () well com
From: Glenn Hauman <Glenn.Hauman () verizon net>
Subject: BlackBoxVoting shut down by legal threat

In case you missed it:

http://www.dailykos.com/archives/004289.html#004289

Diebold feels the heat. Sends out attack lawyers

Blackbox Voting.org is Bev Harris' site exposing the security vulnerabilities of the Diebold voting machines.

As of 8:46 p.m. PST, the site has been pulled, with the following message:

Due to a dispute with Diebold, Incorporated, and its wholly owned subsidiary Diebold Election Systems, Inc. (collectively "Diebold"), which is claiming links to certain materials that do not reside on the blackboxvoting.org website constitute copyright infringement, blackboxvoting.org has been temporarily disabled.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause visitors and journalists to the blackboxvoting.org site and hope to have this matter resolved shortly.

In the interim, send questions or information requests to admin () blackboxvoting org.

And do you want irony, with a capital "I", in a way that only a company run by a committed Bush fundraiser could manage?

Check out the Diebold corporate site. At the top of the page, in a flash animation, we get the following message:

    The Constitution protects our democracy.
    We protect the Constitution.

    The Bill of Rights protects our freedoms.
    We protect the Bill of Rights.

    The Declaration of Independence secured our freedoms.
    We secure the Declaration of Independence.

Well, except for that pesky First Amendment.
--

Best-- Glenn Hauman, LotAuctions
       http://www.lotauctions.com