Politech mailing list archives

European Union moves toward Dutch Internet-tapping plan [priv]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 02:25:46 -0400

---

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 00:15:03 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Paul Wouters <paul () xtdnet nl>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Subject: Dutch tapping spec goes EU

Hi Declan,

It seems that ETSI is about to more or less adopt the Dutch tapping
specification for IP traffic:

tp://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11946

European Union chooses Dutch to tap IP wires

[ ... ]

The Dutch started codifying standards in the late '90s that evolved
into the TIIT specifications, a nice tidy package likely to be adapted
by the ETSI.

[ ... ]

The spec leaked out years ago, and can be downloaded from OpenTap at:

http://www.opentap.org/documents/TIIT-v1.0.0.pdf    (protocol)
http://www.opentap.org/documents/101WAI-GT-FuncspecV1.0.1.doc (operations)

I've critized parts of these documents on various occasions, including on this
list  http://lists.jammed.com/politech/2003/04/0050.html and at the CCC
conference a few years ago: http://www.opentap.org/ccc/

I have been afraid of the dangers of "Black box tapping" in the past. But now
that not one, but many nations, who often like to tap each other, are going to
use this same form of black box tapping, it becomes more important then ever
to have a tapping system that is accountable and verifiably secure. It is also
time that the cryptographic hashes transmitted to the lawful interception
agencies are not just used to verify the transmission, but that the ISP is
also capable and allowed to store and sign these hashes so that the interception
agencies themselves can be hold accountable, and any potejtial tampering with
evidense by the LEA's become impossible.

People interested in assisting the funding of the opensource version of
this EU wide tapping protocol are strongly encouraged to contact me.

Paul Wouters