Politech mailing list archives

FC: European Union likes privacy enhancing technologies?

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 02:33:39 -0400

---

Subject: EU wants Privacy Enhancing Technologies
To: declan () well com
From: Stephan.Engberg
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 13:30:00 +0200

Hi Declan,

EU is presently fighting hard to put Privacy at the center of the
Information Society to build Trust and Security after the political
response to Sept. 11.
The focus on PETs are growing and several initiatives seems to be on the
move.

Even though the respect for the fight against terrorism certainly have not
been reduced, there is a clear understanding that sacrificing freedom is
not the answer as it just provides more reasonst. The Edmund Bourke qoute
"For Evil to prevail .." seems to have a clearer meaning in these years.

This link probably provide the clearest picture of the what and why - but
especially how important this is considered.
http://www.opengroup.org/sfo2003/proceedings/plenary_monday/servida.pdf

I think it provides information that would interest readers of Politechbot
as History will hopefully show that this was one of the most critical
efforts to preserve and ensure Freedom in a critical moment when it was
under attack from all sides.  It deserves all the support possible.

Regards

Stephan Engberg
Open Business Innovation

"Making Privacy Default
   .. because the alternative is not an option"

P.S: If you forward this to the list please dump my email-address,.