Politech mailing list archives

FC: Update on NYC's surveillance camera players

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 02:01:49 -0400

Some photos from April:
http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/surveillance-camera-players-apr03.html

Earlier Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-02775.html

---

Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 11:26:42 -0400
Subject: Guided tours of the surveillance apparatus of NYC
From: David Akin <david () davidakin com>
To: <declan () well com>

Hi Declan --

The following was in my paper's travel section today. Might not be news to
you or the Politech folks but it was [bizarre] news to me!

David Akin
CTV News
The Globe and Mail

Office: 416.313.2503
Mobile: 416.528.3819
-----
Full contact details at:
http://www.davidakin.com

Somebody's watching you in NYC

In the wake of 9/11, tourists visiting the Big Apple are coming under
increased scrutiny by well-hidden security cameras, which are exposed in a
new city tour

By BARBARA ARIA
Saturday, June 21, 2003 - Page T4

NEW YORK -- Bill Brown heaves his shoulders into a shrug, lifts his palms
upward and, tilting his gaze to a well-disguised overhead security camera,
echoes Robert De Niro in the movie Taxi Driver :

"You lookin' at me?" That, says Brown, is how New Yorkers would respond to
the camera -- and thousands more like it on city streets -- if they knew the
devices were watching them.

Since November 2000, Brown -- who is a freelance legal proofreader and an
occasional speaker on privacy issues -- has spent his Sundays drawing
attention to the proliferation and dangers of public surveillance by leading
free Surveillance Camera Walking Tours of eight city neighbourhoods . . .
[Full story at: http://tinyurl.com/ewip ]