Politech mailing list archives

FC: Brad Templeton on ePrivacy Group's antispam plan and anonymity

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:56:03 -0400

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-04939.html

---

Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 10:37:15 -0700
From: Brad Templeton <brad () templetons com>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Cc: vs () eprivacygroup com
Subject: Re: FC: ePrivacy Group's idea: "Trusted Email Open Standard"

Does nobody see the irony in an org calling itself the "ePrivacy group"
advocating a system where everybody has to identify themselves in order
to communicate?

It should be noted that even though the physical postal service can
and has delivered anonymous mail to people containing anthrax and
bombs that actually _kill_ people -- making spam seem a non-issue in
comparison -- it is still possible to mail a letter and even a small
package without having to identify yourself in any way.

I hardly think that in the electronic space, where we have so many
other options besides regimented identification, that we should be
unlikely to lead the way beyond paper mail's rules!