Politech mailing list archives

FC: Military worried about web leaks; on CNBC tonight

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 19:59:01 -0500

I'll be on CNBC's "Capital Report" today talking about this dread menace of cyberterror and .mil sites. I tangled briefly with Mike Vatis, former head of the FBI's National Infrastructure Protection Center. He talked about the need for security; alas, I didn't have time to point out that the FBI under Freeh did its best to prevent it. If you're so inclined, Capital Report airs at 9 pm ET/6 pm PT today and again at midnight ET/9 pm PT:
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/CNBCTV/TV_Info/P10094.asp

See also:
"U.S. spooks fret about Iraq hax0ring .gov and .mil computers"
http://www.politechbot.com/p-04327.html

-Declan

---

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-981057.html

   Military worried about Web leaks
   By Declan McCullagh
   January 16, 2003, 3:58 PM PT

   WASHINGTON--The U.S. Defense Department is worried that sensitive
   information remains exposed on its Web sites.

   Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld warned in a directive sent to
   military units this week that too much unclassified but worrisome
   material was popping up on the Web, and said Al Qaeda and other foes
   were sure to take advantage of it.

   The directive, drafted as the U.S. is readying troops for a possible
   attack on Iraq, reminded military Webmasters they must adhere to the
   department's 1998 policies and procedures.

   [...]