Politech mailing list archives

FC: ACT's Jonathan Zuck: What's wrong with U.S. backing closed source?

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 01:47:59 -0500

Forwarded with permission. I believe Jonathan's group is generally allied with these folks on this issue:
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-975578.html

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-04377.html

-Declan

---

Subject: OSS, Bush, Asia
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:00:14 -0500
From: "Jonathan Zuck" <jzuck () actonline org>
To: <declan () well com>

Hey, since when is objecting to language of support the same as opposed? What the hell is wrong with wanting to support your domestic software industry EVEN including Microsoft and tens of thousands others. It s not like all of other proprietary software firms are big fans of OSS mandates in governments here and abroad. We need to make a decision as a society if we are truly out to destroy the software industry and are prepared for the consequences. Who s going to put food on the table of the OSS developer if not the commercial software companies that employ them?