Politech mailing list archives

Weekly column: Adam Smith's lessons for technology firms today

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 09:19:50 -0500

---

http://news.com.com/2010-1006-5111876.html

Adam Smith's lessons for IT
November 26, 2003, 4:00 AM PT
By Declan McCullagh

It's been 227 years since Adam Smith published a five-book epic titled "The Wealth of Nations," which described how free trade and a division of labor were crucial to economic success.

Yet protectionists still refuse to acknowledge that obvious truth. Instead, we see them doggedly trying to choke off free trade by claiming that American manufacturers need to be protected from more efficient foreign competitors.

Micron Technology, the world's No. 2 maker of microchips, has recently been trying to do just that. The Boise, Idaho-based company is worried about Hynix Semiconductor, a South Korean company that's the third- or fourth-largest maker of microchips.

Micron claims that Hynix is competing unfairly by--I am not making this up--selling its dynamic random access memory (DRAM) chips at a lower price than U.S. companies do. Micron CEO Steve Appleton insists that this is unlawful and that American consumers should be forced to pay higher prices when shopping for computer gear.

[...remainder snipped...]