Politech mailing list archives

Larry Lessig replies to Politech over limiting anonymity [fs][priv]

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 09:12:16 -0500

---

[Why do I get the feeling that Larry Lessig doesn't like "absolute" anonymity much at all? Systems for building and defending "absolute" anonymity already exist in the form of anonymous remailers and Freenet, among others. It would be foolish to follow Larry's advice and concede too quickly that such technologies have so few legitimate uses that they cannot be reasonably defended. Even the oft-benighted Eurocrats have recognized this: a 1997 EC directive encourages anonymity, as does a German federal law (http://www.iid.de/rahmen/iukdgebt.html). In the U.S., since the Federalist Papers were published with effectively "absolute" pseudonymity, surely the framers of the U.S. Constitution had them in mind when crafting the Bill of Rights. Justice Thomas lists more contemporaneous examples in his McIntyre concurrence (http://supct.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/93-986.ZC1.html). Saying anonymous technologies are indefensible concedes a crucial point: that the government's power is so sweeping that police have the right to learn our identity in all cases. So much for whistleblowing and anonymous reports of public brutality.

Perhaps more to the point, the twin privacy-encroaching technologies of automated electronic surveillance and efficient large-scale databases did not exist decades or centuries ago. "Absolute" anonymity lets us reclaim some of that lost zone of privacy. Lastly, trying to remove "absolute" anonymity from the Internet (banning strong encryption and computers that can be programmed not to keep logs) would be far more disruptive, destructive, and harmful than proposals like Hollings' CBDTPA that Larry has rightly opposed. --Declan]

---