Politech mailing list archives

FC: KeepandBearArms.com gets encryption religion, touts PGP

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:31:44 -0400

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/newsarchives/XcNewsPlus.asp?cmd=view&articleid=2749

                    Encryption and the Right to Freedom
                               by Phil Wells

                               April 11, 2003

   KeepAndBearArms.com -- As this article is being
   written, more and more people are becoming aware of the intricate
   surveillance capabilities possessed and used by government agencies
   and the private sector to monitor the daily communication of
   law-abiding American Citizens. Whether it be the ease of wiretapping
   and email capture that was granted under the 'Patriot Act' or the data
   collection brought about by the Carnivore program, few people can
   argue the link between personal privacy and personal freedom.

   While at first glance, it may appear that those who wish to deprive
   you and I of the dignity and liberty that is associated with being
   "secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against
   unreasonable searches and seizures" have an unbeatable hand, there is
   no need to worry, as we as citizens still have the right to exercise
   our 4th Amendment rights legally and for free... through the use of
   encryption.

   [...]