Politech mailing list archives

FC: Does military plane sniper-hunting violate Posse Comitatus?

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 09:53:57 -0400

The Washington Post covers this in a front-page story today:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32138-2002Oct15.html

Note what Eugene (someone I've known to be a reliable source) tells the Post:
   Under the terms of Posse Comitatus, the military can provide equipment
   and supplies, technical assistance and training to domestic law
   enforcement agencies, said Eugene R. Fidell, president of the National
   Institute of Military Justice.
   Fidell said the Pentagon assistance to the sniper investigation may go
   beyond that."I would have to say that active use in a search would raise a
   question," Fidell said.
   A U.S. District Court in New York held in 1961 that the use of an Air
   Force helicopter to search for an escaped prisoner was improper, he
   noted.

Here's background on Posse Comitatus from our recent discussion:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-04056.html

-Declan

---