Politech mailing list archives

FC: Rabbi Mermelstein on Google ad ban: Chill out, life is short

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:50:35 -0500

Rabbi Mermelstein writes a pro-gun column for Jews For The Preservation of Firearms Ownership, a serious Second Amendment advocacy group:
http://www.jpfo.org/askrabbi.htm

Previous Politech message:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-03260.html

---

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 20:12:00 -0800
From: "R. Mermelstein" <ruvmer () earthlink net>
To: "Declan McCullagh (by way of Emily <milys () trib com>)" <declan () well com>
CC: jpfo () execpc com, ccurley () trib com, Legalriter () aol com
Subject: Re: FC: Google refuses business from gun, knife, bulk foodadvertisers

Before y'all think I'm getting a bit stuffy and citing myself like verses from
the Bible, see http://jpfo.org/alert20011017.htm:

    "Mainstream" and "law abiding".

     As a gun owner you are, despite all your protestations, not the former.

     How many laws will you gag on before you can no longer tolerate being the
latter?

Google is a business. They have the right to refuse service to anyone. Consumers
have the right to take their advertising dollars elsewhere. We are not
mainstream; they choose to turn away non-mainstream business. That's capitalism.
"No shoes, no shirt, no service". Gun owners are bare footed and buck naked.
Google is still my home page, since it does what I need from it on a frequent
basis. And in their letter they reiterated that only ad words are scrutinized
for, hmmm, non-mainstreamedness, not search results. Therefore, let's all take a deep breath, pop open a cold one and read the archived pages on www.dilbert.com.
Life is too short for this !@#$.

--RM