Politech mailing list archives

FC: Entervision.com reportedly retransmits CNN and NBC shows

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 18:05:44 -0400

---

From: "Ben Edelman" <edelman () law harvard edu>
To: <declan () well com>
Subject: Entervision Retransmits CNN, NBC
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 14:34:13 -0400

Declan,

For the past two weeks, I've been monitoring the web site of a company
called Entervision.  (You might remember them as the parent of the
not-yet-operational icravetv.biz.)  Based in California, this firm has for
several days retransmitted the ordinary TV signal of a California NBC
affiliate, and since June 20 they've been retransmitting CNN.  You can see
the retransmissions in a small window in the upper-left corner of their home
page, <http://www.entervision.com/1.htm>.  (Note that you must accept the
installation of a plug-in applet in order to view the live video.)

I gather they may not have the permission to perform this retransmission;
their web site doesn't reflect any license to do this, and when I talked to
CNN legal staff about it, they seemed surprised.  Accordingly, I wouldn't be
surprised if Entervision stops the retransmissions shortly after this
message becomes public; for the benefit of readers who may be slow to
respond or want a permanent record, I've therefore posted
"iCravetv.biz/EnterVision Retransmits CNN, California NBC Affiliate"
(<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/edelman/icrave/>) which provides
screen shots of the Entervision site as it stands.

Links:
  Entervision Home Page
  <http://www.entervision.com/1.htm>

  Deep link to Entervision video window
  <http://www.entervision.com/tv.htm>

  My screen shots and other documentation & research
  <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/edelman/icrave/>

Ben Edelman
Berkman Center for Internet & Society
Harvard Law School