Politech mailing list archives

FC: Bernie Shifman, accused spammer, threatens to sue those who complain

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 10:58:39 -0500

I invite Bernard Shifman, the accused spammer, to reply to Politech.

Here's what a previous accused spammer had to say:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-02815.html

-Declan

---

Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 09:03:06 -0500
To: declan () well com
From: Neil Schwartzman <neil () petemoss com>
Subject: Spamflames.com

Dunno if you care or not - this may be a little off the mainstream - but ...

I have a new domain devoted to cartoony threats, the most active thread logs the ferocious amount of verbiage being generated by a spammer who is threatening to sue just about everybody he comes in contact with. It is pretty funny, there are a bunch of us now in "legal trouble" (a bunch of the anti-spam gang, including the good people at samspade.org, spambag.net, and a Chicago-based "Mariachi grindcore" band called "The Culprits", complete with MP3's of the phonecalls from said spammer, Bernard Shifman.

http://spamflames.com

I know, I know, don't feed the trolls. I can't help it. I want to see a x-border suit brought against me for calling someone a spammer, or a moron.

Heh.

Here's the executive summary:
==
Bernard Shifman, "Computer Consultant" spammed me in November 2001. I reported him, as I have done with the other 4,000 pieces of spam I have received since 1998, to his ISP, et al. Shifman then began his assault by sending me an obscenity-laden email. I'm not sure, but I think he wants to have sex with me. Psst! Bernie! I don't swing that way. Anyway, he then sent some murky legal threat, which was never followed up upon. Shifman sent the spam to an address <neil () alcor concordia ca> which has never been used for much of anything apart from POP; a google pretty much confirms it is most directly linked with my anti-spam activities. In fact, I use a number of other addresses for most online activities. He claims he only sent targeted email to the human resources addresses at companies that might hire him. I just checked, I don't actually own, nor work for Concordia University.

Then, again, in December 2001, Shifman spammed the same account! At first, I was incredulous. I mean, after someone informs you they regard your email as spam, why send them more? Then, I complained. THEN I put up this page. Enjoy.

--
Neil Schwartzman
Pete Moss Publications,