Politech mailing list archives

FC: U.K. plans to track all drivers with GPS, charge fees; DNA data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 02:14:47 -0500

---

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 12:18:26 -0500
From: Simon Spero <ses () unc edu>
To: declan () well com
Subject: [For FC]: Sky spy could make drivers pay

UK transport Czar wants to track every motorist with gps black box. The stated reason is to implement congestion pricing, and if you believe that, there's I've got a steel company in Romania I'd like to sell you.

The story doesn't give any technical details, but I can only thing of one legititmate way of implementing road pricing like this- tamper-proof black box calculating charges in real time and recording only the total charge, not the location. Reason why this is a bad idea: no such thing as tamper-proof.

Simon

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/020224/80/csvob.html
Sky spy could make drivers pay

By Mike Peacock

LONDON (Reuters) - Motorists could be charged for using busy roads with satellites monitoring their every move under plans to be announced by the government's "transport czar" on Monday.

The proposals by Professor David Begg, chairman of the government-sponsored Commission for Integrated Transport, will include plans to fit cars with a black box which would be tracked by global positioning satellites (GPS).
[....]

---