Politech mailing list archives

FC: Colorado judge strikes down photo radar, dismisses tickets

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 02:19:44 -0800 (PST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 17:04:14 -0500
From: "Diamond, Richard" <Richard.Diamond () mail house gov>
Subject: Colorado Judge strikes down photo radar system

Thought you might be interested in a copy of the 20-page ruling issued this
week by a Denver County judge that found the photo radar program had
violated both state and local laws.  The judge issued a motion to dismiss
the tickets of 4 defendants challenging the system, and the city has been
forced to turn off the cameras.  The ruling tracks perfectly with the two
separate California Superior Court rulings that shut down San Diego's red
light camera system. The tide may be turning.

Click on the link for the entire ruling (3mb, PDF format)
http://www.freedom.gov/auto/cases/denver.pdf

Richard Diamond
Office of the Majority Leader
US House of Representatives
202-225-6007 / www.freedom.gov

"And it's true in a few intersections we found a few more accidents than
prior to the red light photo enforcement. At some intersections we saw no
change at all, and at several intersections we actually saw an increase in
traffic accidents." -- San Diego Police Chief David Bejarano, Nightline,
7/30/01

"I would have to say that the cameras themselves have not reduced the number
of (injury) collisions that have happened at these intersections," said
Elizabeth Yard, an analyst with the San Diego Police Department's traffic
division. -- San Diego Union-Tribune, 9/2/01