Politech mailing list archives

FC: Newspapers filter out "bad words" from email to their reporters

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 08:56:15 -0500

---

From: "William K. Dobbs" <duchamp () mindspring com>
To: "Declan McCullagh" <declan () well com>
Subject: bad words
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 00:12:13 -0500

Declan,

The discrete charm of robotic thinking:  I never imagined a newspaper
reporter would use email filtering software to root out posts with "bad
words."  Then it is revealed an entire major newspaper is using the stuff.
Why would editors and reporters at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel allow a
contraption to make such judgments, to act as a censor?  I sure hope that
other media outlets will not go down this road.

-Bill Dobbs