Politech mailing list archives

FC: Judge orders Feds to release names of 9-11 secret detainees

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 19:45:53 -0400

---

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASECIV
FRIDAY, AUGUST 2, 2002(202) 616-2777
WWW.USDOJ.GOVTDD (202) 514-1888

STATEMENT OF ROBERT MCCALLUM,
ASSISTANT ATTORNEY GENERAL FOR THE CIVIL DIVISION,
REGARDING JUDGE KESSLER'S DECISION IN
CENTER FOR NATIONAL SECURITY STUDIES V. USDOJ

"The Department of Justice believes today's ruling impedes one of the most important federal law enforcement investigations in history, harms our efforts to bring to justice those responsible for the heinous attacks of September 11, and increases the risk of future terrorist threats to our nation. While the Department is pleased that the Court recognized that certain categories of information relating to the 9/11 investigation are protected from disclosure, the Justice Department's Criminal Division and the FBI firmly believe that the information sought by the plaintiffs, if released, could jeopardize the investigation and provide valuable information to terrorists seeking to cause even greater harm to the safety of the American people. In reviewing today's ruling, the Department of Justice will be evaluating all options to protect the American public from future terrorist threats while preserving our constitutional liberties."

---