Politech mailing list archives

FC: More on sex sites, DMCA, celebrity names, and AdultCheck

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 06:44:47 -0700

http://www.politechbot.com/p-03355.html

---

From: "Ethan Ackerman" <eackerma () u washington edu>
To: <declan () well com>
Subject: RE: DMCA means sex sites must not mention celeb names, AdultCheck says
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 13:02:04 -0700

Greetings Declan,

While I'm sure you have no shortage of correction emails coming in, I
thought it important to note that the two most recent politech posts re:
Britney Spears, the DMCA, and AdultCheck are somewhat misleading.  It is
implied in the title that the DMCA is somehow the law behind such
blacklisting.  While it is fair, to a first approximation, to say the DMCA
is quite foul, it is likely that unrelated state "right-of-publicity or
privacy" laws are why AdultCheck is curbing it's affiliates.

(Unless counsel is quite uninformed, or I am uninformed) the DMCA addresses
copyright circumvention, not rights to personas and names.  That is
primarily the realm of "right-of-publicity or privacy" laws, and to a
limited extent, trademark.  Fortunately, most state "right-of-publicity or
privacy" laws are explicit in their subservience to the 1st Amendment.
AdultCheck was probably killing two birds with one stone in their
announcement, which looks to be titled "DMCA / ROP Policy Update."

The dirt on the DMCA is considerable and ubiquitous, let's kill it with just
the true dirt.

-Ethan

Ethan Ackerman
Senior Research Associate,
Shidler Center for Law, Commerce & Technology
University of Washington School of Law
1100 NE Campus Parkway
Seattle, WA 98105
Tel:  206.440.0853/Fax: 206.616.3427