Politech mailing list archives

FC: Oracle's Larry Ellison urges national ID card for Americans

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 00:40:38 -0400

Matt Drudge writes:
http://www.drudgereport.com/id.htm
A proposal for the creation of a national ID card was presented to President Bush in recent days, top government sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT.

http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/svfront/ellsn092301.htm
``We need a national ID card with our photograph and thumbprint digitized and embedded in the ID card,'' Ellison said in an interview Friday night on the evening news of KPIX-TV in San Francisco. ``We need a database behind that, so when you're walking into an airport and you say that you are Larry Ellison, you take that card and put it in a reader and you put your thumb down and that system confirms that this is Larry Ellison,'' he said. [...] ``We're quite willing to provide the software for this absolutely free,'' he said.

----