Politech mailing list archives

FC: Bush sends Congress the MATA of all anti-terrorism laws

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 15:12:03 -0400

Text of one version of MATA (there are many variants):
http://cryptome.org/mata.htm
http://www.politechbot.com/docs/mata.draft.092001.html (another OCR'd version)

Justice Department analysis of one version of MATA (from a Hill source):
http://www.wartimeliberty.com/article.pl?sid=01/09/20/198219

Another version of MATA, also analyzed by the Justice Department:
http://vorlon.mit.edu/~declan/mata/bill-analysis/

*********

   Bush Submits His Laws for War
   By Declan McCullagh (declan () wired com)
   10:15 a.m. Sep. 20, 2001 PDT

   WASHINGTON -- President Bush sent his anti-terrorism bill to Congress
   late Wednesday, launching an emotional debate that will force U.S.
   politicians to choose between continued freedom for Americans or
   greater security.

   Created in response to last week's bloody attacks, the draft
   "Mobilization Against Terrorism Act" (MATA) rewrites laws dealing with
   wiretapping, eavesdropping and immigration. The draft, intended to
   increase prosecutors' courtroom authority, also unleashes the
   government's Echelon and Carnivore spy systems.

   "We will call upon the Congress of the United States to enact these
   important anti-terrorism measures," Attorney General John Ashcroft
   said this week. "We need these tools to fight the terrorism threat
   which exists in the United States, and we must meet that growing
   threat."

   Although Ashcroft has said he hopes Congress will approve MATA by
   Saturday, Capitol Hill appears to be taking a more cautious approach.
   The House Judiciary committee has pledged a speedy but careful
   consideration, and Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vermont) has his own
   legislation he'll highlight at a hearing next Tuesday.

   At a press conference Thursday in Washington, scores of organizations
   from across the political spectrum urged politicians to tread
   carefully and protect civil liberties during wartime.

   [...]