Politech mailing list archives

FC: More on voracious, nasty new "Code Red"-esque worm

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:21:01 -0400

We have an article by Michelle Delio here:
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,46944,00.html

**********

From: "Magdalena Donea" <maggy () kia net>
To: <declan () well com>
Subject: RE: Voracious, nasty new "Code Red" worm may be spreading quickly
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 15:57:16 -0400

Declan,

The best description of namda I've seen so far is here:
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/09/18/010918hnworm.xml?0918alert

Yes, only Windows systems are affected, but this time this includes Windows
desktops, servers, etc., whether running IIS or not (unlike Code Red).
Viewing a page from an infected IIS server may be enough to infect a desktop
system, because of the applet the virus launches. The "swiss army knife"
analogy in the article above is really good. Of course, regardless of O/S
brand you use, the collateral damage is still high, in terms of the high
level of traffic this thing is producing.

Among all our client servers, the earliest instance of a hit came at 6:10am
EDT today from Belgium:

XXXX.uunet.be - - [18/Sep/2001:06:10:53 -0400] "GET
/scripts/..%c1%1c../winnt/system32/cmd.
exe?/c+dir%20c:\ HTTP/1.0" 404 2550 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5;
Windows NT 5.0)"

... thought I'd pass it on, hope it's useful.

--Maggy

          KIA.NET Technical Support
          help () kia net