Politech mailing list archives

FC: Reason's Nick Gillespie responds to critics over Young column

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:42:08 -0400

*********

From: "Nick Gillespie" <gillespie () reason com>
To: <declan () well com>
Subject: RE: More on Reason's Cathy Young column on encryption, wiretapping
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:04:49 -0400

Declan,

Thanks for the post below regarding Cathy Young's piece on encryption that
was originally written for the Boston Globe and recently posted on
www.reason.com; I especially appreciate your ability to separate one piece
by her from her larger body of work.

Young is a highly valued and often controversial contributor to REASON, both
in print and on line, and I'm happy to post her writings even when I
disagree with her on a specific issue, including encryption and whether the
threat of terrorism should shrink civil liberties.

As you--and I trust many of your readers--know, I and other members of the
REASON writing community consistently and adamantly argue in favor of
unfettered encryption, freedom from government oversight, and maximum civil,
personal, and economic liberties. For the unconvinced, I recommend a wider
walk through our site and our print magazine (including our December issue,
which features your contribution to a symposium about which civil liberties
are most at risk in the government's new total war against terrorism).

Please feel free to share this with your list.

Yours,

Nick

Nick Gillespie
Editor-in-Chief
REASON magazine
www.reason.com <http://www.reason.com>
gillespie () reason com <mailto:gillespie () reason com>