Politech mailing list archives

FC: Washington Post op-ed links terrorists to pirated software, CDs

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 10:47:43 -0400

Excerpt from the op-ed by Roslyn Mazer, associate deputy attorney general and criminal division special counsel for intellectual property under Clinton:

Recent developments suggest that many of the governments suspected of supporting al Qaeda are also promoting, being corrupted by, or at the very least ignoring highly lucrative trafficking in counterfeit and pirated products capable of generating huge money flows to terrorists and other organized criminal groups. While serving in the Criminal Division at the Department of Justice from 1998 to 2001, I helped catalogue disturbing trends in this area. With cooperation from our copyright and trademark industries -- the producers of software, music, film, books, apparel, pharmaceuticals and other highly sought-after American products -- we documented the links between intellectual property (IP) crimes and the even more nefarious crimes they pay for.

*********