Politech mailing list archives

FC: Update on the legal status of web links, from OJR.org

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 12:02:25 -0400

We've had extensive discussions here over the years about linking. See:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-01814.html
http://www.politechbot.com/p-01823.html
http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=linking

-Declan

**********

Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 12:02:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Joshua S. Fouts" <fouts () rcf-fs usc edu>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Subject: Impermissible Links

Hi Declan,

Thought you might be interested in this discussion we just posted about
the current legal state of linking.

Impermissible Links
http://ojr.usc.edu/content/story.cfm?request=584

Linking is critical to the success of the Internet as we know it. However,
the importance of linking to the online community may never reach a
reasonable decision by the courts. Why? Because litigants are interested
advocates, who may not want the court to fully understand the implications
of the technology.

Best,

Josh

Joshua S. Fouts