Politech mailing list archives

FC: More on Georgia prosecuting man over distributed.net client

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 01:24:01 -0400

More info:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?start=1&catid=39&threadid=490400
http://www.slashdot.org/yro/01/07/08/2153206.shtml

"Georgia reportedly prosecuting man over distributed.net client"
http://www.politechbot.com/p-02243.html

-Declan

*********

Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 21:11:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: "James B. DiGriz" <jbdigriz () dragonsweb org>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
cc: politech () politechbot com
Subject: Re: FC: Georgia reportedly prosecuting man over distributed.net
 client

My understanding is that the events in question occurred at Dekalb
Tech, a unit of the Georgia Dept. of Technical and Adult
Education, which is not part of the University System, nor administerd by
the Board of Regents, as I understand it.

Just didn't want to see the University System trashed.

Looks like our AG is doing a good enough job of trashing the whole state,
though. I'll wait for more info to decide whether he's just a bonehead, or
malevolent opportunist. Whichever, this is an abuse of the statute he's
using, and an embarrassment to the state.

jbdigriz

*********

Two anon responses:

Dear Declan,

I hope that every sane person that reads your mail daily tries to help this
guy.  I called him in Georgia and the state attorney general's office waited
until last week to hand down the warrant on the supposed offense that
happened 2 years ago.  His attorney doesn't have the experience with cyber
issues and I know that you have the proper contacts to help him.

Having had to deal with the local and state morons in another state myself,
I can tell you that it sucks.  If it weren't for my resistance and ability
to turn the tables on these guys, I wouldn't have prevailed.  This guy in
Georgia is a computer engineer and has probably never even had a parking
ticket nor anything like this happen to him.

I think that he is being made the scapegoat simply because he is not an
"original good old boy" and an easy target.

*********

While the U. of Georgia is acting draconially, unfortunately they've got
the law on their side. He misused their computing resources and all
types of enterprises are getting serious about this.

What needs to be answered is whether the science project he was doing
was for the University or not. If it was not, then he was stupid. I'm not
saying I agree with what the University is doing and their $.59 per second
figure is bullshit (realistic figure is more like $.02), but what is is what
is.
Howver, it is also likely that the University is not going to get dollar one
because in any tort there has to be proof of damage done. In this case,
there appears there was idle CPU and network bandwidth available, so there
was no appreciable damage done, as the University has stated.

If he was doing this without authorization, the best thing you can do is
publicize the case in order to shame the University into backing down.

*********