Politech mailing list archives

FC: Feds refuse to "Free Dmitry"; ACM letter to publishers

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 15:09:10 -0400

The Association for Computing Machinery is a member of the Association of American Publishers. AAP has applauded Dmitry Sklyarov's arrest (http://www.politechbot.com/p-02288.html). ACM is not happy. (Keep reading.)

Politech archive on U.S. v. Sklyarov:
http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=sklyarov

Background:
http://www.cluebot.com/article.pl?sid=01/07/19/2332232

-Declan

********

Electronic Frontier Foundation
For Immediate Release: July 27, 2001

EFF Rejoins Protests After Meeting with US Attorney's Office

San Francisco, CA - Representatives of the Electronic
Frontier Foundation (EFF) met with representatives of the
U.S. Attorney's office in San Francisco today. There was a
productive dialog, however the U.S. Attorney's office gave
no indication of dropping the prosecution against Russian
programmer Dmitry Sklyarov.

"The people from the U.S. Attorney's office heard our
concerns and asked probing questions about the Digital
Millennium Copyright Act," explained EFF's Executive
Director Shari Steele. "However, they did not give any
indication of their plans for Dmitry, so we encourage
everyone to keep up the pressure and join the protests."

Having explored good faith negotiations, the Electronic
Frontier Foundation rejoins the call for nonviolent
protests worldwide to secure the immediate release
of Dmitry Sklyarov and drop all criminal charges against
him.

A protest is already scheduled in San Francisco for
11:30am this Monday, July 30, at the Federal Courthouse
at 450 Golden Gate Ave. Additional July 30th protests
are scheduled in Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, and
Minneapolis, and future protests will likely occur
in 25 or more cities worldwide in coming weeks.

********