Politech mailing list archives

FC: New summary of encryption regulations in Europe

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:28:59 -0500

Simo-Pekka Parviainen of the University of Helsinki (http://www.iki.fi/spp/) has written a master of law thesis entitled "Cryptographic Software Export Controls in the EU."

It is available here (but be warned, it is 144 pages PDF, in English):
http://ethesis.helsinki.fi/julkaisut/oik/julki/pg/parviainen/

He summarizes it in an email to me:

My thesis really does only cover European Union. In EU the Union is futher
harmonizing the export control laws in Member States even when there is
foreign- and security considerations. This is done because internal market
in the EU and excercising of uniform common foreing policy requires it.

The EU export control law was defined by ECJ (EC Court of Justice) in
early nineties, long before 'crypto controvercy' began. When it comes to
strong encryption software EU merely implements decisions of Wassenaar
Arrangement.

To put it short, the liberalization trend is about to continue as we have
seen. Wassenaar liberalized mass market crypto even futher over the 64-bit
limit, US liberalization, and in your country the bureaucracy tries to
also streamline the export licencing process I guess.

-Declan