Politech mailing list archives

FC: Why all Microsoft sites went offline today: Some theories

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:13:06 -0500

Here's one more development... Less than an hour ago, ping requests sent to the four Microsoft-wide name servers stopped working:
57 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, +1 errors, 100% packet loss

Pings throughout the day showed high -- but not 100 percent -- packet loss. At
11:20 ET I was getting zero packet loss. At 5 pm ET:
59 packets transmitted, 19 packets received, 67% packet loss

I also can no longer get through to microsoft.com web site -- even though I could earlier -- using its 207.46.230.218 address:
22 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

This could be evidence of a DDOS attack, Microsoft disabling ping responses, a natural result of caches expiring and additional traffic, or unrelated problems elsewhere in the network not under MS control.

Background:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-01662.html

-Declan

*********