Politech mailing list archives

FC: Firsthand info on former NSA/NASA base in Carolinas

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 22:16:27 -0500

[Interesting followups to http://www.politechbot.com/p-01614.html from folks who have been there. --Declan]

***********

Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 08:08:37 -0500 (EST)
From: "James B. DiGriz" <jbdigriz () dragonsweb org>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Subject: Re: FC: Astronomers take over abandoned NSA base, from Baltimore
 Sun

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> http://www.sunspot.net/content/cover/story?section=cover&pagename=story&storyid=1150520223288
>
>     NSA abandons wondrous stuff
>     Surprises: Astronomers who took over an abandoned spy base find
>     remarkable, expensive and often incomprehensible stuff at every turn.
>       _________________________________________________________________

Not so much news, Declan, as history rediscovered in a new context.

Furthermore, the article distorts or contravenes fact to ride the popular
X-files meme. This may sell newspapers to the credulous, but it's lazy,
irresponsible, and a disservice to history and the achievements of the
space program, which too many people have forgotten too many of already. This
is the reason I quit reading the damn paper. I got tired of reading fiction,
propaganda, and marketing campaigns masquerading as news.

Granted, the confusion in this case seems to have been a direct result
of the military's idiotic obsession with secrecy for secrecy's sake, but
this reporter could have done a lot better job. It scares the hell out of
me that a professional journalist would find anything at Rosman
"incomprehensible", too. It's too much like Clarke's law at work. This
does not bode well.

regards,
jbdigriz

p.s. and to think that all this time, Eric Rudolph has been
dodging FBI agents and freezing his butt off in some dark, wet, dirty cave in
the woods, when just over the next ridge...

********