Politech mailing list archives

FC: Federal judge denies order against Realtime Blackhole List

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:32:58 -0500

A federal district court in Massachusetts last month denied a request by an accused spam-friendly ISP for an injunction against the Mail Abuse Prevention System, which maintains a list of "offending" sites:
http://mail-abuse.org/pressreleases/2001-01-02.html

The reasoning: "There is a serious question whether MAPS's assertion that Media3 is 'spam-friendly' is defamatory because the statement appears to be accurate."

The decision is at:
http://pub.bna.com/eclr/00cv12524.htm

Background on a related lawsuit is:
http://www.politechbot.com/p-01281.html

Recently I've done some investigation into spam statistics. Contrary to what I wrote in a message here last July, the MAPS Realtime Blackhole List -- at issue in the lawsuit -- is *not* one of the best ways to stop spam. Another service, called the Relay Spam Stopper and also provided by MAPS, is far more effective in practice:
http://status.hiwaay.net/spam.shtml

Both follow the same principle of a list of "offending" IP addresses that should be quarantined. But RSS is updated more quickly and is semi-automated. RBL is slower:
http://www.mail-abuse.org/rss/

Some observers have said this raises censorship concerns; MAPS correctly replies that it's an exercise of private property rights -- a spammer does not have the right to force you to use your computing resources to accept their messages:
http://www.mail-abuse.org/rss/rights.html

-Declan