Politech mailing list archives

FC: Microsoft's position on eBook encryption, anti-piracy efforts

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 11:53:09 -0400

[I rather like this line: "We are also helping to deploy powerful surveillance services that can identify illegal distribution of Microsoft® Reader eBooks across the Internet, and report findings to publishers... The information and evidence gathered by this tool can form the foundation for subsequent civil and criminal enforcement." I presume MS means automated monitoring of pirate websites/FTP sites and Usenet, but that's a singularly awkward way of putting it. --Declan]

---

http://www.microsoft.com/ebooks/das/antipiracy.asp

   Anti-Piracy Efforts

   Beyond Encryption: Microsoft's Commitment to Secure Distribution of
   Digital Intellectual Property
   Software can be used to encrypt digital content and establish rules
   for its lawful access and use, but encryption is only one part of
   Microsoft's overall strategy for maintaining digital intellectual
   property rights. With so much at stake in protecting the commercial
   value of our own software products, Microsoft has been at the
   forefront for many years in initiatives that foster respect for
   digital intellectual property.

   As eBooks inspire a new era in publishing, Microsoft is pleased to
   support the Association of American Publishers (AAP) in its
   unprecedented efforts to implement programs to proactively address the
   threat of eBook piracy. As an AAP member, Microsoft is sharing its
   expertise and resources to ensure that eBook reading is safeguarded
   from the threat of piracy and copyright theft.

   Microsoft is proud to work with the AAP to ensure that consumers are
   educated on the value of owning eBooks.
     * We are sponsoring an educational Web site to inform the public of
       the value of copyright and the costs of piracy.
     * We are also helping to deploy powerful surveillance services that
       can identify illegal distribution of Microsoft® Reader eBooks
       across the Internet, and report findings to publishers.
     * We will help guide a new AAP advisory board in creating a
       comprehensive program to fight eBooks piracy, in which all AAP
       members are invited to participate. Microsoft and the AAP also
       welcome the participation of other retailers and publishers in
       these efforts.

   The AAP is the national trade association of the U.S. book publishing
   industry. The AAP has approximately 250 members, including most major
   commercial book publishers in the United States, as well as smaller
   and non-profit publishers, university presses, and scholarly
   societies. Protecting intellectual property rights in all media is
   among AAP's highest priorities. "AAP is delighted to join with
   Microsoft in this effort that will benefit all the players in the
   exciting eBook market, including publishers, authors, retailers, and
   consumers. Intellectual property is the fastest-growing segment of our
   economy and our most precious commodity in the global marketplace."

   Patricia S. Schroeder, President and CEO, Association of American
   Publishers -- August 2000.

   "Three E's" of Digital Security Encryption

   In building their eBook businesses with Microsoft Reader, publishers
   and resellers will encourage consumers to use legitimate distribution
   channels and respect intellectual property rights. However, apart from
   Encryption, digital property anti-piracy efforts require two more
   "E's": Education and Enforcement.

   Education
   Education is the cornerstone for a safe and legal electronic
   marketplace-a marketplace in which consumers, publishers, and
   merchants understand how to protect themselves and the integrity of
   their transactions. The education efforts target two groups:
     * The publishing industry, to ensure that consumers are educated on
       the importance of copyright laws, and the risks associated with
       pirated electronic content.
     * The general public, to establish an awareness of the inherent
       value of eBooks and other copyrighted digital property, and the
       importance of ensuring copyright protection on the Internet.

   Enforcement

   The Association of American Publishers (AAP), with the support of
   Microsoft, is implementing programs and services focusing on
   enforcement:
     * Using technology developed by Microsoft to protect its own
       intellectual property on the Internet, the AAP has implemented an
       aggressive Internet surveillance program, which includes an
       automated, intelligent Internet search tool that searches for
       unauthorized distribution of eBook content 24 hours a day, seven
       days a week. The information and evidence gathered by this tool
       can form the foundation for subsequent civil and criminal
       enforcement.
     * The AAP and Microsoft will also work with law enforcement agencies
       to ensure that copyright laws are honored and that pirates are
       pursued and prosecuted. Publishers and eBooksellers are invited to
       join the AAP and Microsoft in these efforts.

   "Piracy is not a question of 'if', but 'when.' No technology is immune
   to it. The key is having a comprehensive plan in place to counter it
   at every level and minimize the threat." -- Dick Brass, Vice President
   of eMerging Technologies, Microsoft

   Last Updated: Monday, March 19, 2001