Politech mailing list archives

FC: Letter to CAGW and CSE: Why should governments use MS products?

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 11:02:04 -0400

*********

Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 10:49:30 -0400
From: "\"Robin \\\"Roblimo\\\" Miller\"" <robin () roblimo com>
To: declan () well com
Subject: Re: FC: Microsoft allies reply to dead-people-writing-letters story

Re: Citizens Against Government Waste and Citizens for a Sound Economy's
reactions to their pro-Microsoft letter-writing campaigns...

Dear Declan:

Assuming Citizens Against Government Waste [CAGW] and Citizens for a
Sound Economy [CSE] are not corporate shills, but honest grassroots
groups true to their names, I'm sure they're at least as interested in
lobbying for more efficient use of their members' tax dollars in
government computer hardware and software purchasing as in the
comparatively minor amounts state attorneys general and the US DoJ have
spent persecuting Microsoft.

Our federal, state and local governments collectively waste hundreds of
billions of dollars worth of taxpayers' money every year on overpriced,
insecure, and hardware-inefficient proprietary software and computer
operating systems while free or low-cost open source alternatives are
readily available.

It is possible that CAGW and CSE aren't aware of these alternatives or
how they can be put to practical use in government offices. I'm sure
that once they and their organizations' members are aware of just how
much tax money can be saved by choosing the most cost-effective software
available instead of blindly buying from the companies with the biggest
marketing budgets, they will start deluging elected and appointed
government officials with mail and phone calls begging them to change
the way they buy computer hardware and software.

I hereby give Mr. Schatz and Mr. Beckner permission to reprint the
following article, unaltered, on their organizations' Web sites or in
any newsletters or magazines their groups publish. The City of Largo,
Florida (motto: "City of Progess"), the subject of this story, is
probably spending less money per employee on computer systems than
almost any other government in North America. Others should follow their
lead, and I look forward to working with CAGW and CSE to help make this
happen.

Article URL: http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=01/08/10/1441239

- Robin "Roblimo" Miller
  Editor in Chief, OSDN