Politech mailing list archives

FC: Penthouse.com shuts down major Usenet porn-pirate

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 09:22:04 -0400

   Nudie Aficionado Shot Down
   by Declan McCullagh (declan () wired com)

   3:00 a.m. May. 2, 2000 PDT
   Stopping sex-obsessed pornhounds from swapping their favorite photos
   on Usenet might seem like a Sisyphian task, but Penthouse.com is
   willing to try.

   Company officials said late Monday that they inked a settlement
   agreement with one particularly flagrant copyright violator who had
   amassed a collection of thousands of Penthouse images and
   bulk-uploaded them by the score.

   "This guy had 20,000 images cataloged. He could put them up quicker
   than we could. I considered hiring him since he knew the site so
   well," said Gerard van der Leun, vice president of Internet services
   at General Media, which publishes Penthouse.

   Instead, the website sued its photo-crazed nemesis, who uses the email
   address Muad`Dib () dune com. Last month police raided Muad`Dib's home
   and seized his computers.

   [...]