Politech mailing list archives

FC: Trade associations tell Congress "NO" on Internet taxes

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 13:06:52 -0700

******

From: "Kevin Beirne" <kbeirne () erols com>
To: "Declan McCullagh" <declan () well com>
Subject: 11 Associations Sign Net Tax Letter to Congress
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 09:12:01 -0400

Declan,
I just wanted to give you a head's up on the attached letter being distributed to all Hill offices this morning. the letter is signed by presidents of 11 major trade associations and calls on Congress to act on this session on Internet taxation. the letter suggests a comprehensive approach including building a framework for sales tax simplification, extending the moratorium, clarifying existing rules regarding taxable presence and more.

Let me know if you would like any more info on it.

American Electronics Association
Consumer Electronics Association
Electronic Components, Assemblies & Materials Association
Electronic Industries Alliance
Government Electronics & Information Technology Association
Information Technology Association of America
National Association of Manufacturers
Securities Industry Association
Software Finance & Tax Executives Council
Software & Information Industry Association
Telecommunications Industry Association

May 1, 2000

The Honorable XXX
United States Senate
Washington, DC

Dear XXX:

We, the undersigned trade associations, are writing you following the completion of the work by the federally appointed Advisory Commission on Electronic Commerce (ACEC). Congress created this panel under the mandate of the Internet Tax Freedom Act in October 1998 and now the ACEC has delivered its report to Congress. We strongly urge Congress to address the issues surrounding Internet taxation in as comprehensive a manner as possible. Congress has legislative authority over matters involving interstate commerce and, therefore, has a very important role in this policy debate that has traditionally been focused in the States.

The thousands of businesses we represent are on the e-commerce front lines, and they well understand that issues of taxation of electronic commerce pose complex, difficult, and often inter-related questions for the business community and state and local governments. You will hear a great deal in the coming months from various parties on these issues, and we respectfully request that Congress address these important and complex issues in a systematic and comprehensive manner.

We commend the members of the 106th Congress who have already introduced proposals to address component parts of the issues raised by the ACEC, and we also ask Congress to consider legislation to address the entire problem. We recognize that a comprehensive strategy may involve separate pieces of legislation to address specific issues, and we urge Congress to follow a comprehensive strategy that includes at least the following items:

· Extend the moratorium of the Internet Tax Fairness Act and eliminate taxes on Internet access. · Create an environment in which true simplification of interstate sales and use taxation may occur. · Reduce costly litigation between taxpayers and governments by clarifying existing rules regarding taxable presence. · Eliminate the Federal Telecommunications Excise Tax and create an environment in which simplification of telecommunications taxes may occur.

We stand ready to assist you in the crafting of this important legislation and we thank you for your attention to our request.

Sincerely,

William T. Archey, President & CEO
American Electronics Association
Gary Shapiro, President
Consumer Electronics Association
Robert Willis, President
Electronic Components, Assemblies & Materials Association
Dave McCurdy, President
Electronic Industries Alliance
Dan C. Heinemeier, President
Government Electronics & Information Technology Association
Harris N. Miller, President
Information Technology Association of America
Jerry J. Jasinowski, President
National Association of Manufacturers
Marc E. Lackritz, President
Securities Industry Association
Mark E. Nebergall, President
Software Finance & Tax Executives Council
Kenneth A. Wasch, President
Software & Information Industry Association
Matthew Flanigan, President Telecommunications Industry Association

Kevin M. Beirne
Account Coordinator
The Russ Reid Company
202.371.9580
cell 202.365.0504
<mailto:kbeirne () erols com>kbeirne () erols com