Politech mailing list archives

FC: UCITA plan may not be a travesty for consumers --responses

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 01:44:16 -0500

************

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 08:51:20 -0800
To: declan () well com
From: Kaye Caldwell <kaye () ix netcom com>
Subject: Re: FC: Software plan is a travesty for consumers, by Dan
  Gillmor

For a discussion of UCITA based on actual facts, see: http://www.2bguide.com/docs/rne.html

************

From: "Jennifer Alvey" <jalvey () bna com>
To: declan () well com
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 14:48:59 -0500
Subject: Re: FC: Software plan is a travesty for consumers, by Dan Gillmor

Declan,
I didn't see a date on the Gillmor story, so that may
explain the inaccuracies.

 UCITA was endorsed last July by NCCUSL.  It has now passed
both houses in the Virginia legislature, and will be signed
by the governor in the next few weeks, his press flak tells
me.  One saving grace, I suppose, is that the Va law will
not be effective until 7/1/01.  In the meantime, the Joint
Committee on Science and Technology will be working on a
report of some sort about UCITA.  This is a group that has
legislators and industry people on it--I'm not sure if any
consumer groups are represented there.  If folks want to
lobby against UCITA, that committee is where it remains to
be done, for Virginia anyway.  The Virginia law has
amendments in it that have been pushed by the film industry,
to exempt movies from UCITA in B2B situations (upstream,
it's called), but not in the mass market context.  The
NCCUSL  executive committee in January signed off on these
same amendments, but they won't become official until the
whole group votes on them in July.
UCITA has also been introduced in Maryland, where it seems
to be going somewhere--Gov. Glendening is definitely backing
it.  In Oklahoma, Illinois, Hawaii and the District of
Columbia, where it has also been introduced, its prospects
are less clear.  I also hear that UCITA has gotten
endorsements (or is about to get them) from lawyers' groups
in Delaware and Washington, which may be a precursor to
introduction in those states.

I'm including my contact info for your benefit, but please
delete it (e-mail address can stay in) if you post this to
the list.  Thanks.

Jennifer L. Alvey, Esq.
Legal Editor & Reporter
Electronic Commerce & Law Report