Politech mailing list archives

FC: Etoy.com proclaims victory, etoyS.com settles suit

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 20:26:56 -0500

*******

                       Victory for Etoy Is At Hand
                       by Steve Kettmann

                       5:05 p.m. 25.Jan.2000 PST
                       The domain-name battle between etoy
                       and eToys has finally lurched to a
                       conclusive end.

                       The Santa Monica-based toy company
                       eToys agreed Wednesday to pay up to
                       $40,000 in legal fees and expenses that
                       the Internet artists of etoy accrued in
                       the legal battle, and also to drop its
                       copyright-infringement lawsuit against
                       etoy. For its part, etoy dropped its
                       counterclaim against eToys.

                       Both sides dropped the claims "without
                       prejudice," meaning that neither forfeited
                       the right to future legal action. "We
                       decided to drop our request for an
                       apology, because we felt an apology from
                       a corporation would be meaningless," said
                       Chris Traux, etoy's attorney. "A
                       corporation might be able to learn from its
                       mistakes, but not be sorry for them."

                       [...]