Politech mailing list archives

FC: A woman's take on the RSA conference

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 14:37:42 -0500

[I received a number of notes in response to Ralph's RSA-reports on the red-vinyl-clad women and Wired's article (which I did not write) on the miniskirted-cheerleaders at the conference (http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,33756,00.html). So I asked somone to write a politech article from a female perspective: Here it is, anonymized. --Declan]

*******

Declan-

What geek-loving, tech toy-craving woman wouldn't have enjoyed the RSA Conference? While few and far between, the women who did attend RSA '00 were successful, confident, and often beautiful, and they obviously enjoyed the favorable male/female ratio. I was pleasantly surprised that RSA found good, thoughtful female panelists for the conference (and seemingly didn't try to recruit female speakers just for PC's sake), and the male/female speaker ratio was probably slightly closer to parity than the male/female attendee ratio. I was also thrilled to see more women on the tech-side rather than just on the policy/business-side of crypto, and I thought that Dr. Tal Rabin effortlessly held her own on the Cryptographer s panel.

BTW--whoever thought of getting cheerleaders to hawk crypto? One male colleague was right-- midriff-baring cheerleaders either scared the geeks away or viscerally drew them in for a photo op and _then_ scared them away. Does anyone actually remember what they were hawking, anyway? (The wise and sanely beautiful women at Thawte would probably agree.) Speaking of which, were cheerleaders really that much of a newsworthy item? hmmmmm....men.

And not a pip about the heady burly iron-clad crypto-warrior alpha geeks.

*sigh*.

Maybe women will come into their own at the RSA conf. when we can get the Chippendale dancers on stage with Ralph's red vinyl-clad blonde go-go girls. Take note, Mr. Bidzos! We want equal ogling rights next year!

So-back to Zero Knowledge. Ian Goldberg did a commendable job explaining the technology behind Zero Knowledge on Wednesday, and the Zero Knowledge team is giddily raking in a very elite crew to man/woman their ranks. I wish them all the best!

-Blonde California Geek