Politech mailing list archives

FC: Some flourishing European startups --Esther Dyson

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 11:38:09 -0500

*********

To: declan () well com
From: edyson () edventure com (Esther Dyson)
Subject: Re: FC: Europe can't match US technology boom --Washington Post
Cc: politech () vorlon mit edu, 102556.3265 () compuserve com
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 17:17:07 -0500

Yes, there's not the same appreciation......  But let me list you a few
flourishing start-ups:

Boxman, Sweden/Europe
Lastminute.com, UK
Pricerunner.com, Sweden
Epo.com, online IPOs, UK & Sweden
Seznam (Czech portal, recently sold 30% to Spray in Sweden)
NetBeans (Czech, recently sold 100% to Sun Micro; I was an investor)
QXL, auction site, UK
Living-Systems, Germany, developer of auction software, including for
Alando.de (sold to eBay)
Orchestream, QOS software, UK (I'm an investor)
six IT companies on the Warsaw Stock Exchange: Optimus, Computerland Poland
(I'm an investor), JTT, Softbank, Prokom, ComArch
Depo.ru, pcs & peripherals online in Russia (I'm an investor in the parent,
IBS, which also owns Newspaper Direct)
pgLife.com, Swedish retail start-up (I'm an investor)
Paymentor, Hungary (online debt collection, I'm an investor)
Lanetro, Spain, city site
MyAlert.com, Spain, wireless alerts/e-commerce

And FWIW, wireless use is much higher than in US, and that will provide a
key means of access to the Net.

Just couldn't let this pass......  - Esther Dyson

Esther Dyson                    Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
chairman, Internet Corp. for Assigned Names & Numbers
edyson () edventure com
1 (212) 924-8800    --  1 (212) 924-0240 fax
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com                    http://www.icann.org

PC Forum: 12 to 15 March 2000, Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona
Book:  "Release 2.1: A design for living in the digital age"
High-Tech Forum in Europe: October 2000 - probably Barcelona