Politech mailing list archives

FC: Internet Society DC meeting 1/12 -- Privacy in the Brave New World

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 00:11:13 -0500

*********
[Unfortunately Mike Vatis, who heads FBI's NIPC (http://www.fbi.gov/nipc/welcome.htm) cancelled at the last minute -- I was looking forward to being on a panel with him. -Declan]

*********

http://www.dcisoc.org/

Internet Society -- DC
Privacy in the Brave New World
Wednesday, January, 12, 2000 7:00-9:00 PM

Privacy. A broad topic that touches all of us in so many ways and raises lots of concerns. In 2000, electronic privacy issues are reaching crisis proportions. Some people are looking out for us, while others are looking at us.

Is the government going through our email and listening to all of our phone calls? If so, is that OK because of the threats of terrorism and gangsters? How much control should vendors have over the use and dissemination of information about us; how much should we?

To hear opinions on multiple sides of the issues, come to DC Chapter of The Internet Society public roundtable meeting on January 12, 2000, 7-9 p.m., at Tysons Corner, Virginia. Listen to top experts. Ask questions, state your views. We guarantee you an informative, lively roundtable session with these three speakers, who approach the subject from three different viewpoints:

-- Declan McCullagh -- Washington bureau chief for Wired News, and an award winning journalist. He also writes the washington dot com column for George magazine, and is a regular contributor to intellectualcapital.com. McCullagh moderates politech, a discussion list looking broadly at politics and technology. He also was a plaintiff in the ACLU lawsuit challenging the Communications Decency Act, ruled unconstitional by the Supreme
  Court.

-- Kawika Daguio -- Executive Vice President of the Financial Info Protection Association (FIPA), an organization dedicated to helping individuals, firms, and governments work together protecting sensitive financial information while promoting commerce. He was the Chief Lobbyist for the American Bankers Association for technology and payment
  systems, and brokered deals with the government allowing banks to use strong
encryption. Daguio was also heavily involved in critical infrastructure, digital telephony,
  and Year 2000 policy.

-- Steven Chabinsky -- Assistant General Counsel, Office of the General Counsel, FBI. He also serves as the Principal Legal Advisor to the National Infrastructure Protection Center (NIPC), and has worked extensively on privacy and Freedom of Information Act issues in
  the critical infrastructure protection arena.

  With that lineup of speakers, this is a meeting you won't want to miss.

>Location:
>Booz-Allen at Tysons Corner
>Allen Building
>8283 Greensboro Drive