Politech mailing list archives

FC: Slovenian official resigns over Y2K advice

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 11:35:01 -0500

*********

[I will be on KPFA 94.1 in the Bay Area today at 12 pm PT to talk about
online privacy. Webcast at http://www.kpfa.org/. Many politech members
submitted the following article. Thanks. --DBM]

*********

From: Paul McMasters <Pmcmasters () freedomforum org>
To: "Declan McCullagh (E-mail)" <declan () well com>
Subject: Y2K abroad
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 10:44:57 -0500

Declan, I don't know whether these items, passed along to me by my colleague
Gene Mater, would be of interest to Politech or not. Your call.

-pkm

Slovenian official resigns over Y2K advice
A senior official responsible for dealing with the millennium transition
in Slovenia has resigned following media charges that he exaggerated the
risks of the Y2K computer bug.

Bojan Usenicnik, head of the Office for Protection and Rescue, came
under fire for recommending last week that Slovenians buy emergency
reserves of food, water, batteries, candles and medicines.

The former Yugoslav republic has so far reported no problems involving
computers failing to recognise the year 2000.

In a statement Mr Usenicnik rejected the criticism but nevertheless said
he would step down. ''After yesterday's television report...and
following other commentaries, I have decided to resign,'' he said.

He said his office, one of the main government agencies responsible for
the Y2K problem, had issued the same advice as similar agencies in other
countries.

''Our recommendations were no different from those in developed
countries,'' Usenicnik said.

His resignation will only be valid if accepted by Defence Minister
Franci Demsar.

Source: http://www.centraleurope.com/news.php3?id=122482 - Central Europe
Online / Reuters

Belgian newspaper creates its own Millennium Bug
The front page of Belgian national newspaper La Libre Belgique was
deliberately printed in scrambled and illegible type Monday in a jibe at
the absence of millennium-related computer chaos.

''At the Libre Belgique...a computer problem suddenly hit the page
layout system around midnight,'' the paper said in one of the few
legible lines in an otherwise meaningless muddle of letters.

Like most Belgian papers, La Libre Belgique led with the story that the
''bugalypse'' - an apocalypse caused by the millennium bug - had not
surfaced as feared.

In the absence of any major computer problems caused by the date change
from 1999 into 2000, La Libre Belgique made almost its entire front page
illegible and even had a photograph of midnight revels seeming to melt
down the page.

Source:
http://www.mediacentral.com/channels//allnews/01_03_2000.rittz0620-story-bct
echykbelgium.html - Media Central / Reuters

Old browsers stop Swedes using Internet banking
Thousands of Swedes were unable to access their bank accounts over the
Internet following the turn of the year because they were using outdated
browser software, banks said Monday.

Bank spokesmen said the problem affected some 100,000 people, about 10
per cent of Sweden's online banking customers, who had not upgraded
their browsers to the latest versions.

They said it was not the millennium bug that stopped people accessing
their cash or investment balances but the fact that they were using a
version of the Netscape browser due to expire at the end of 1999.

The Netscape homepage warns users of older browsers that the programme's
security certificate, used for Internet banking, expired on December 31.

Swedish banks are world leaders in Internet banking and the country
boasts one of the highest levels of Internet connections.

Handelsbanken and Finnish-Swedish banking group MeritaNordbanken said
they had not experienced any problems. Swedbank said it took measures
ahead of the year-end to ensure browser software was upgraded.

Source:
http://www.mediacentral.com/channels//allnews/01_03_2000.rittz0714-story-bct
echyksweden.html - Infobeat / Reuters