Politech mailing list archives

FC: More on Feds won't release handicapped-access Web regs

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 08:44:17 -0500

From: "Baker, Stewart" <SBaker () STEPTOE COM>
To: "'declan () well com'" <declan () well com>, politech () vorlon mit edu
cc: "Albertazzie, Sally" <SAlbertazzie () STEPTOE COM>
Subject: RE: Feds won't release handicapped-access Web site regulations

Declan,

These rules could have other unexpected consequences.  It looks to me as
though the standards will require the release of special GUI translators for
all programs that have GUI interfaces (oral descriptions of each GUI
element), even if the programs can be run entirely satisfactorily -- maybe
even better -- from the command-line mode, which is also much more
accessible, since each line can be run through a text-to-speech translator.
This is a real make-work requirement that could fall heavily on open-source
products like Linux that run quite well in command-line mode.  I can't
imagine volunteers wanting to write GUI translators for Linux when people
without sight will almost certainly use the command line mode instead.  So
Red Hat and VA Linux will probably end up having to do that work themselves
to sell to the government.

For proprietary products, the producers will all have to comply if they want
the Federal Government to buy their products, which means we could all end
up waiting longer for new versions.

On the good-news front, we may actually get to see the standards before they
take effect.  The standards will be late for sure, but I'm hearing they will
probably be release before August.

Stewart Baker
Steptoe & Johnson LLP
phone -- 202.429.6413