Politech mailing list archives

FC: Web access justifies "draconian and invasive legislation"

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:26:49 -0500

Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 22:13:38 +0000
Subject: Re: FC: Responses to W3C/disabled groups Web regulations, hack
        attacks
From: "Saul Albert" <saul.albert () virgin net>
To: declan () well com

> [This is an interesting case of metaphor shear. Are web sites more like
> books or movies (no disabled versions necessary) or bars and restaurants
> where handicapped-accessible versions ARE required? --Declan]

Dear Declan,

WHAT?

Er... ever heard of braille? what about scanner/readers and audio books.

Many mainstream movies are available on audio release from the RNIB (in
England at least), abridged versions of books for cognitively disabled
people, subtitles, brailleFAX etc etc etc...

In any case, the issue for web accessibility is in some cases even more
important than cultural exclusion issues. The information networks made
available by the Internet are vital for the dissemination of disability
rights activists as well as global disability discrimination issues. The use
of IT in general presents a fantastic opportunity for disabled users in the
workplace. It also can supplement woefully inadequate physical access (most
European cities are still deplorably inaccessible.)

The Web Accessibility Initiative is doing its best to provide standards for
access, but still 99% of web sites are inaccessible to visually and
cognitively impaired people. Even more make it impossible for non-mouse
users to access sites (for lack of keyboard shortcuts.) There is nowhere
near enough investment from the software giants, and the best offering
(sadly from Microsoft) is appalingly difficult to use. The saddest thing is
that due to browser wars and the many idiotic and mal-communicative
"features" provided as ammo for this conflict, there is no way of
automatically regulating accessibility features.

Web sites are not only  like bars and restaurants (AND books and movies),
but are also like banks and employment resources and education and public
resources. The web is as much a social space as a public library, and as in
the "social model of disability" case of the man in the wheelchair, the
library and the stairs, it is the stairs that are disabling the man, not the
wheelchair. The idiotic ineptitude of 99% of web designers is disabling
people. GOD, even most disability rights organisations web sites are only
JUST accessible, and then are usually fairly crap in terms of info design
and aesthetics.

Web access needs to happen. If it takes draconian and invasive legislation
to do it, so be it.