Politech mailing list archives

FC: Village Voice on NY DVD lawsuit (including article by Harvey Silverglate)

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 10:57:16 -0500

From: "Mark Boal" <mboal () earthlink net>
To: <declan () well com>
Subject: DeCSS trial coverage
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 10:51:26 -0500

Declan-

Your list may be interested in this DeCSS story.

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0005/howe.shtml

Village Voice  Feb 2-8, 2000
FADE TO BLACK: The Motion Picture Association Shuts Down Crypto Research
BY JEFF HOWE

It's 2:30 p.m. and Roman Kazan and his fiancée huddle on a couch in the
entryway of Judge Lewis A. Kaplan's chambers. Kazan is one of three
defendants accused of violating copyright law by distributing DeCSS, a piece
of software that the Motion Picture Association of America says can, in
theory, be used to copy DVDs. Over the next three hours, Kazan's confidence
gives way to confusion then outrage. At 5:30 p.m. the judge hands down a
preliminary injunction against him.

"I'm being sued for something I have nothing to do with," he says. Indeed,
Kazan doesn't care a whit about DeCSS, and he never even heard of the
program until he was served court papers. But this is immaterial, as the
lawyers say.

[snip..]

"It's more efficient to go after an ISP," explains Jonathan Band, a lawyer
specializing in digital law. "If they can set this precedent, it will make
any cease-and-desist letter far more compelling. They can close down 50
sites at once."

  [snip..}

And here's attorney Harvey Silverglate's opinion on the DeCSS trials:

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0005/silverglate.shtml

Village Voice
February 2 - 8, 2000
DVD DESPERADOES
BY HARVEY A. SILVERGLATE

In a fit of megalomania, Canute, the 11th-century king of Norway, held his
hand over the ocean and ordered the tide to recede. When it comes to the
information age, Canute's modern-day successors are the film studios and
their trade group the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA). They've
unleashed a furious legal barrage against the cypherpunks who found a way to
decrypt and copy DVDs. So far, the case has gone industry's way, but in the
long run, their attack seems as doomed to fail as Canute's attempt to master
the sea.

[snip..]

****
Mark Boal