Politech mailing list archives

FC: Amy Boyer's father responds to Privacilla report

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 10:37:30 -0500

[See responses below from one of those "often-clueless and frequently-unaccountable bureaucrats," EPIC, and Privacilla's rebuttals. --Declan]

*********

Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 04:43:17 -0800 (PST)
From: Tim Remsburg <remsburg1 () excite com>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:12:13 -0500, Declan McCullagh wrote:

>  You're welcome to reply to this:
>  http://www.politechbot.com/p-01573.html
>
>  -Declan

     Declan,
    This article has been brought to my attention by the media. I have
voiced my concerns with the problems I see with the "Amy Boyer Law". However
the problem this points out would,I believe, be covered in the law. This
bill has changed in many ways from the original draft explained to me. I
have a site that I created in memory of Amy and in this site I wanted people
to be able to voice their emotions about how they feel on these issues. This
person,Andrew Nelson,writes in to the discussion post that he feels these
phone numbers and social security numbers are out there everywhere and will
not be a problem for others to have. He gives his phone number and SS# of
his own free will. He is the one who posted it. If he had posted his
neighbors number or anyone elses number other than his own then I think that
would be a problem. This bill says these numbers cannot be displayed without
the owners consent in writing or electronic signature. I believe when he
posted and signed the post that he indeed gave his consent. I think it
should be illegal for me to have posted it without his consent. Each case of
this kind would have to be looked at on an individual basis.
   Please don't misunderstand me though. I have problems with the way this
bill has evolved. In the beginning this bill was to allow the SS# to only be
available to law enforcement, credit bureaus and financial institutions.
They would no longer be able to display,sell or trade this information to
any third party. This would keep the companies like search agencies and info
brokers from being allowed to buy and sell our personal private info without
our consent in writing. This really needs to happen. But this bill now
allows any company or individual to access our numbers through public and
gov't documents and states as long as they do this in a legal process then
there is no problem. To me this allows them to continue to sell to people
like my daughters killer and this angers me. These SS# cards have always
said things like this number is not for identification, use it to apply for
social security benefits, any misuse of this number will result in a
fine,inprisonment or both. The third party sale of these numbers is not what
they were for. This information allows people to access much more info that
is not available without this number. This must change.

Thank you very much,sincerely yours,
   Tim & Helen Remsburg